Friday, June 14, 2013

Poverty...

I had an interesting experience this morning. I encountered a traffic jam in downtown Gilman VT. Now to most of us, a traffic jam is by no means unheard of and is certainly not something to write home about, but in Gilman VT?!? I figured there must be an accident. Turns out I was completely wrong.

I ended up going the opposite direction to check on the van before coming back and getting into line. A line was exactly what it was and I ended up driving around them. As I went by I realized that all these cars (and there were quite a few) were in line to pick up food from a food cupboard sort of truck. THAT is the kind of economy up here. It's a small town and the line for the drive through food cupboard was out into the street and down a block. With the paper mill closed (in 2007) there just aren't the jobs for people here. Another town nearby is struggling for the same reasons. There's just nothing for people to do. We employ about 10 people but can't support any more than that. I'm hoping that we can get other parts of the mill up & running and get a few more people back but it will never be able to support the town the way the paper mill did.

My previous company donated a pile of food to the food cupboard back in Rochester last year. I think I'm going to see if PHS wants to donate up here as well. There's definitely a need...

No comments:

Post a Comment