Tuesday, June 18, 2013

How do you know your hydro site is working properly?

Got trained today on at the Gilman plant. I use the term loosely because I'm not going to be an operator but I need to start understanding everything that goes on. My partner took my around and walked me through the "mechanical rounds" which the operators make in order to ensure that everything is running properly.

So how does one determine whether their hydro site is running properly? Essentially it comes down to checking about a hundred oil levels and temperature gauges. You see, if you run out of oil (or hydraulic fluid) then shit starts going south... fast. Similarly, a bearing that is going bad then it will generate more friction which will cause it's temperature to rise. I'm not 100% clear on how many of those temperatures are monitored via the PLC.

One of the reasons that Gilman has a full time staff, unlike all our other locations, is that it is not fully automated. One of my tasks will be to help bring it up to full automation, though I'm concerned that in doing that I may end up putting some people out of jobs...

No comments:

Post a Comment